From: Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-sources 5.7.x
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2020 15:32:18
1 On 08/06/2020 11:06, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Afternoon all,
3 >
4 > Is there something special for me to set in the kernel config to enable it to
5 > find the root partition? I copied the config from 5.4.38, ran oldconfig and
6 > followed most of the suggested answers; but it won't boot.
7
8 Sounds like missing drivers. oldconfig didn't do everything it was
9 supposed to. Moving across multiple major versions, this is to be
10 expected. A lot of names of things have changed.
11
12 Do a comparison of your configuration between old and new.
13
14 diff -uN old-config-file /usr/src/linux/.config
15
16 Make sure to at least enable NVME with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NVME=y and try
17 booting 5.7 again. Other than that, the naming scheme may have changed
18 but I don't know about this. For better future-proofing, use a UUID of
19 your root partition rather than a device name.
20
21 root=UUID=...
22
23 You can get this UUID with the blkid command.
24
25 Andrew