From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternative kernels
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:53:33
1 On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > My grub-0.99 lets me choose from four kernels and two or three run levels at
4 > boot time, and grub-2 can't handle this yet, or it couldn't the last time I
5 > checked. I don't suggest that everyone has a similar need, but at least in
6 > some cases the old grub does still have a place.
7
8 I doubt that grub2-mkconfig can auto-generate configs with
9 permutations on runlevels, but if you build a manual config for grub2
10 I can't see why this would not work. You're just changing your choice
11 of kernel and kernel parameters.
12
13 It certainly does let you pick from multiple kernels. Grub2-mkconfig
14 also supports a recovery configuration for each kernel that can have
15 different options, which might or might not meet your need. You could
16 also create your own module for grub2-mkconfig which does whatever you
17 want.
18
19 Or just use manual config files. I was doing this at first with
20 grub2. I ended up ditching it for the generic mkconfig script, since
21 it plays well with make install on kernels and dracut. Before I used
22 to make the config static and just name my kernels k/k1/k2 or some
23 such, rotating through names as I updated. That works, but was a
24 pain. The biggest issue I ran into with mkconfig so far was that it
25 doesn't always handle mainline rc kernel sorting - you'll get an rc
26 kernel sorted above the release version and therefore made the
27 default. I did file a bug about that, so hopefully it will get fixed
28 some day.
31 Rich