From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optimising apache on a single core 32bit machine with hyperthreading
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 11:29:48
1 On Saturday 24 Sep 2011 11:12:48 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 24.09.2011 11:32, schrieb Mick:
3 > > If I haven't enabled USE= apache2_mpms_prefork and apache2_mpms_worker,
4 > > how does apache behave with regards to threading responses?
5 >
6 > [...]
7 >
8 > If you have neither enabled, the ebuild (apache-2 eclass, to be
9 > specific) chooses one of them based on USE=threads. Enabled=worker,
10 > disabled=prefork.
11
12 Thanks,
13
14 I have threads unset globally so from what you're saying apache must be
15 running in preforked mode. I thought that I would need to define explicitely
16 USE="apache2_mpms_prefork" and enable or configure this in the apache modules
17 (I couldn't find any configurations related to preforked when I looked).
18
19 I'm trying to troubleshoot why a dev't machine that also runs a KDE desktop
20 continues to freeze after a few hours of heavy usage (and repeated reloading
21 of web pages for testing). It usually unlocks itself if left alone over a
22 coffee break - say after 5 -15 minutes depending on how many desktop apps are
23 running at the time.
24
25 I don't think it is apache that causes it (I'm suspecting KDE of course ;p ),
26 but it may be one of the things that contributes to it.
27 --
28 Regards,
29 Mick