From: Sebastian Wiesner <basti.wiesner@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My last words on cryptology and cryptography.
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:15:19
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> at Thursday 26 June 2008, 10:54:43
2 > The calculation is quite simple - measure how quickly a specific
3 > computer can match keys. Divide this into the size of the keyspace. The
4 > average time to brute force a key is half that value. AFAIK this still
5 > averages out at enormous numbers of years, even at insane calculation
6 > rates like what RoadRunner can achieve.
7
8 According to Wikipedia RoadRunner is designed for 1.7 petaflops in peak.
9 Assuming for the sake of simplicity, that decryption can be performed
10 within a single flop:
11
12 (2^256) / (1.7 * 10^15) / 2 ~= 3.5 * 10^61
13
14 In years:
15
16 3.5 * 10^61 / 3600 / 24 / 356 ~= 10^54
17
18 Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems impossible to me, to reduce this get
19 the required amount somewhere near to the life time of a human being ;)
22 Freedom is always the freedom of dissenters.
23 (Rosa Luxemburg)