From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux Fiber SAN
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 14:55:05
1 On 12/06/2013 16:20, Nick Khamis wrote:
2 > It was my understanding that SAN whether implemented using iSCSI
3 > or Fibre was essentially susceptible to the same type
4 > of faults that lead to whatever failures?
5
6 Old cynic speaking here:
7
8 Yes, they both have the same weak point: humans.
9
10 In my experience the only storage technology that ever let me down badly
11 was a decrepit Arena locally-attached badly designed POS.
12
13 The humans that *run* the storage failed me many times. The SAN never
14 deleted a LUN, the humans did - more than once.
15
16 If you are assessing risk, do keep that one in mind.
17
18 Other than that, no storage technology is really inherently better than
19 any other, some are just better suited to what you need and have budget for.
23 Alan McKinnon
24 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com