From: "João Matos" <jaoneto@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kdm: can't login and start KDE
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 13:14:04
1 2013/4/9 Yuri K. Shatroff <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
2
3 > Hello gentoo-users,
4 >
5 > Yesterday I completed a world update (amd64, unstable) and now I can't
6 > login with kdm.
7 > (I have kdm set as display manager in /etc/conf.d/xdm, and started from
8 > default runlevel)
9 > After booting, the login screen appears as usual. I type login/password
10 > and then a glimpse of X's default x-shaped pointer on black background
11 > appears, returning to the login screen.
12 > I don't get any sensible errors, neither in kdm.log nor in messages, all I
13 > see is:
14 >
15 > [/var/log/kdm.log]
16 > -----------------------------
17 > klauncher(21958) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have
18 > started the DBUS server.
19 > kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
20 > kdmgreet(21952)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned
21 > initialize() D-Bus call failed: "Not connected to D-Bus server"
22 >
23 > kdmgreet(21952)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): No time zone information obtained
24 > from ktimezoned
25 > -----------------------------
26 >
27 > But I guess this is unrelated, since dbus is running (and restarting it
28 > doesn't help, nor does restarting xdm)
29 >
30 > Each time login fails I also see this in
31 > [/var/log/messages]
32 > -----------------------------
33 > Apr 9 11:33:53 localhost kdm: :0[20396]: pam_unix(kde:session): session
34 > opened for user yks by (uid=0)
35 > Apr 9 11:33:54 localhost kdm: :0[20396]: pam_unix(kde:session): session
36 > closed for user yks
37 > -----------------------------
38 >
39 > No other logs appear to change.
40 >
41 > Needless to say that kdm 4.10.1 and earlier worked properly, and no
42 > configuration files were changed during the last update.
43 >
44 > As a workaround, I just typed startx on the console (with startkde in
45 > .xinitrc) and KDE started up, so I assume the problem is somewhere around
46 > kdm.
47 >
48 > Any ideas?
49 >
50 > P.S. I had no problem with networking and udev which got updated from
51 > 197-r9 to 200 and the network interface name didn't change from eth0 (the
52 > 80-*rules file was a regular file full of commented text)
53 >
54 > --
55 > Best wishes,
56 > Yuri K. Shatroff
59 Hi. I have a similar problem here, since the last update from kde 4.9. But
60 I can login with my user, I just cant using any new user. I found this
61 problem easily, because I have a guest account, and I erase "/home/guest/*"
62 once in a while. Since two months ago this account is useless.
63
64 But my kde is istill 4.10.1. It seemed nobody had the same problem, and my
65 problem was not that bad because my own account was working pretty well.
66
67 The error is exactly the same of yours, when I try to login the guest
68 account, but when I try "startx" a get the following:
69
70 /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc line 63: exec: xterm: not found
71
72 I don't think it will help, because I get the same error if I try the
73 "working account".
74
75 I'm using systemd, so I tried to remove consolkit support from kdm, but it
76 didn't help.
77
78 Is anyone else facing a similar problem?
82 João de Matos
83 Linux User #461527
84 Graduado em Engenharia de Computação
85 UEFS - Universidade Estadual de Feira de Santana