From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] setting up wireless on gentoo using wireless-tools
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:06:42
1 > Hey guys
2 >
3 > I'm Strugling to set up wireless, have recompiled kernel to include wireless
4 > i have folowed all the documentation and read and folowed tutorials on
5 > gentoo wiki and also i have folowed the /net.examples and wireless.examples
6 > but it keeps giving me errors when i want to start init.d/net.wlan0
7 > my question is: what should a working /etc/init.d/net look like if I want to
8 > connect to dhcp enabled open wireless dslmodem/router ?
9
10 I've heard great things about wicd, but I never managed to get it
11 work. NetworkManager worked out-of-the-box for me once I had the
12 correct drivers (now in the kernels by default).
13
14 I think wicd is nicer, but NetworkManager will work, and the nm-applet
15 has not failed me to connect to any wireless networks that were either
16 open or that I had the passwords for. The disadvantage of NM compared
17 to wicd is it won't work without X. The advantage is it will take
18 care of the conf.d/net
19
20 ~daid