From: Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo is so AWESOME
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 06:30:40
1 On 07/31/2013 02:05 PM, Michael Palimaka wrote:
2 > On 1/08/2013 04:34, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 >> It seems a little rude to pop in, address them personally, and ask them
4 >> each if they'd devote months of their time towards mentoring me. (Doing
5 >> so can pressure someone into agreeing to something he doesn't want to
6 >> do, or makes him reject you personally which many people find awkward.)
7 >
8 > I definitely understand that. I wonder if it would help if we had a page
9 > where developers could register their interest in being a mentor.
13 I think that'd be a great idea. If each developer could state where
14 their interests/expertise laid and what type of dev they'd be interested
15 in mentoring, that could make the selection process more natural for
16 both prospective devs and established devs.
17
18 The problem I have is I don't know what I'd want to work on. I love vim,
19 tmux, and fluxbox, but I believe they already have capable maintainers.
20 I'm learning C and Python, and know PHP, so there's probably a bit I
21 could learn about C and Python. And my competency in PHP may qualify me
22 for some packages. Which ones, I don't know.
23
24 Overall I just can't think of a reason for Gentoo to take me.