From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] No xterms after kernel upgrade.
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 21:13:58
1 Hello all,
2
3 I recently upgraded the kernel on my laptop to 2.6.14-r5, as well as Xorg, and
4 many other packages. Since this change I cannot run an xterm anymore. I seem
5 to recall this happening to me years ago, but I do not remember the cause.
6
7 When I start X, all is well, and everything runs as it should, except for term
8 programs. Eterm hangs there, but instead of a prompt, I get "press <esc> to
9 exit". konsole and {a,x}term don't even show up, although I suspect they are
10 just starting then stopping immediately.
11
12 I do have psuedo terminals in my kernel, and in fact the config is exactly as
13 it was with the old kernel.
14
15 Any ideas how to troubleshoot this? If you want to see my config file or
16 something else just ask.
17
18 Thanks,
19 -d
20 --
21 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
22 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
23 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972