From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo didn't work with ati sapphire 2400
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 18:52:18
1 Fabio wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Or use some other bootable CD like Knoppix.
5 >> The best way to install Gentoo is the old way. You will learn a lot
6 >> about Linux that way too. If you just have to, you can install some
7 >> binary based OS like Mandriva on a separate drive and use it to install
8 >> from then erase Mandriva after you get everything sorted out. The plus
9 >> to that is you can use Mandriva to search the forums when a problem
10 >> arises. It does have web browsers too.
11 >>
12 >> Just a few thoughts there.
13 >>
14 >> Dale
15 >> :-) :-)
16 > thanks Dale! I currently use ubuntu and Debian now. I try to install
17 > the gentoo system via chroot from Ubuntu but was a real suicide for
18 > me..at the end..I don't know why it does not work.
19 > so do you think this is the best way?
20 > thanks!
21 > Fabio
24 I did my install from Mandrake once. It worked fine for me. I did most
25 of it from Konsole. I had Mandriva on one drive and installed Gentoo on
26 the second drive.
27
28 There is not really much difference between doing it booted from the
29 install CD or another OS. You create your partitions, put your file
30 system on those, create your mount points if needed and mount the
31 partitions. Untar the stage tarball, chroot in and go after it. Once
32 you get to the chroot part, it should be just like the handbook. If
33 your mount points are different, substitute the correct paths for your
34 situation. You can just do a mkdir /mnt/gentoo on your current OS then
35 go from there. That way it will be just like the handbook.
36
37 I will say this, it took me four tries to get a successful install.
38 That would be booting from the hard drive. Took a couple more times to
39 get the kernel perfected. If you run into a problem, don't start over.
40 Just about anything can be fixed. Just search the forums, come here and
41 ask if needed.
42
43 You should be able to install from the OS you have tho. I have never
44 used Debian or Ubuntu but it should work.
45
46 After you do this a few times, you'll be like "that is so easy". I have
47 never used the installer to install Gentoo with.
48
49 That help?
50
51 Dale