From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google Mail still not recognising Gentoo KMail
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 17:58:23
1 On Thursday, 7 November 2019 17:00:59 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Thursday, 7 November 2019 12:12:41 GMT Mick wrote:
3 > > On Thursday, 7 November 2019 10:47:19 GMT Антон Кулешов wrote:
4 > > > Hello,
5 > > >
6 > > > Create 'Application-specific password required' in your google account
7 > > > and
8 > > > use it instead of your google password. Try this link
9 > > > myaccount.google.com/apppasswords
10 > >
11 > > A couple of months ago Kmail stopped working with OAuth2. I assumed Gmail
12 > > changed their OAuth2 implementation and Kmail hadn't caught up with the
13 > > changes.
14 > >
15 > > The way I managed this change so far, has been to set my Google Account
16 > > security settings to allow "less secure apps":
17 > >
18 > > https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en
19 > >
20 > > Then change the Kmail/Settings/Receiving/Advanced/Authentication from
21 > > "Gmail" to "Plain". The other relevant settings are "SSL/TLS" and port
22 > > "993".
23 > >
24 > > When selecting "Gmail" authentication, it used to be the case qtwebengine
25 > > would launch a GUI in which you would login into the Gmail security web
26 > > GUI
27 > > to set up an application specific password. I don't know if this works
28 > > now, it didn't last time I tried it, a few months ago. I suspect it won't
29 > > work if you have "less secure app access" enabled.
30 >
31 > I tried that, and I remember I used to have something similar set up too,
32 > but since that change you mention at Google, apparently it's no longer
33 > possible to create a new account in KMail to work with google mail. Google
34 > just blocks the attempt and issues me with a critical security issue.
35
36 Login to Gmail webmail interface using your browser. Open the most recent
37 'critical security issue' email message Google has sent, providing you with a
38 URL directing you to your Google account security settings. Click to confirm
39 the attempt to connect is not malicious and you/your PC/IP address were the
40 culprit.
41
42 Thereafter, you *should* be able to connect with your Kmail.
43
44 NOTE: Every time you change IP address, because say you're in a different
45 physical location, Google security will once more go in a fit and block Kmail
46 from connecting. Then you will need to repeat the above steps with your Gmail
47 webmail interface first, before you are able to connect with Kmail. Tedious,
48 I know.
51 > Looks like I'll have to use a different email client for gmail. Can I even
52 > have two MUAs active at the same time?
53
54 I don't think this would be necessary, but yes, once your IP is accepted by
55 Google's security algos I think you should be able to login and download your
56 emails with any other client too. I seem to recall I didn't have a problem
57 using mutt in this way.
60 Regards,
61
62 Mick