From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange cron messages...
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 18:04:19
1 Mick writes:
2
3 > On Saturday 14 November 2009 16:53:24 Alex Schuster wrote:
4
5 > > Something like that, I never used logrotate by myself. See the man
6 > > page for more information.
7 >
8 > Hmm ... how do you keep your log files under control?
9
10 I am using app-admin/metalog (http://metalog.sourceforge.net/) as logger.
11 It does not create single log files, but directories, containing multiple
12 files, and does the rotation itself. The current file's name is 'current',
13 the others have a time stamp in it. You can limit the maximum length or
14 time, and the total number of files. I have it set up so that I get one
15 file per day, and keep the last 30 files, so I have the complete log of
16 one month.
17
18 Wonko