From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Somewhat OT: Any truth to this mess?
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 10:45:48
1 On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 04:26:02 -0600
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Howdy,
5 >
6 > I ran across this and though it was a joke. Did a news search and
7 > sure enough, it is reported in lots of places. Random linky:
8 >
9 > http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2102856/Will-FBI-shut-Internet-March-8-virus-concerns.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
10 >
11 > Is there any truth to this mess? My bigger and better question, how
12 > is shutting down the internet going to fix this? When the net comes
13 > back up, they are still going to be infected. Right?
14 >
15 > I'm glad I run a really nice Linux OS.
18 Gawd, I hate it when morons write sensational articles that attempt to
19 make sense to other morons. You get crap like that.
20
21 So if this is legit, and I'm not saying it is, what happened is this:
22
23 The malware changes the DNS cache settings on infected machines,
24 sending the user to rogue caches. The FBI captured some (or all) of
25 these rogue caches and (possibly) tried to fix them. A court has now
26 said those rogue caches must now be shut down.
27
28 So if the morons reading the article do nothing, on March 8 the DNS
29 caches they use will be down. The user's DNS will not work.
30
31 OMFG!!!!!!! Da intartubes is broken!!!!!
32
33 <sigh>
34
35 Instead, why not just set the DNS caches to something NOT owned by Ivan
36 The Russian Spammer?
37
38 And no, the intartubes will NOT be switched off.
44 Alan McKinnnon
45 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com