From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.0 and oldconfig
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 23:44:12
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 07/23/2011 01:54 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I noticed the new kernel in the tree. Anybody know whether make
6 >> oldconfig will work when coming from a 2.6.39 series kernel? Since I'm
7 >> having issues right now, I wouldn't mind trying to new and improved,
8 >> hopefully, version.
9 >>
10 >> I just had a thought, what are the odds the nvidia drivers are ready for
11 >> this shiney new beast?
12 >>
13 >> Thoughts?
14 >
15 > It's just a version number. It was originally going to be 2.6.40. But
16 > the patch numbers were growing too big, so they simply renamed it 3.0.
17 > It does not represent any kind of big change or whatever.
18 >
19 > So yes, oldconfig is going to work and there are no major changes at
20 > all in kernel 3.0.
25 I sort of hate to hear there are no major changes. I was hoping for a
26 fix on my kernel panic problem. Oh well. I'll upgrade anyway. Maybe
27 it will help.
28
29 Thanks for all the replies.
30