From: "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NVMe drive and grub
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 17:26:44
1 On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 11:32 AM, <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > Poison BL. <poisonbl@×××××.com> wrote :
3 >
4 >> On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 8:21 AM, Peter Humphrey peter@××××××××××××.uk>
5 >> wrote:
6 >> > On Thursday 07 April 2016 17:56:55 Jeremi Piotrowski wrote:
7 >> >> What is in your grub.conf? Have you thought about adding an
8 >> >> initramfs and letting it drop you to its rescue shell so that you can
9 >> >> investigate?
10 >> >
11 >> > Grub.cfg looks all right to me: at least, it does include a sensible root=
12 >> > value.
13 >> >
14 >> > I never see a grub screen - it just starts the current kernel. I did
15 >> wonder
16 >> > about an initramfs and I'm trying it now. I've also followed Remy's advice
17 >> > and used gentoo-sources-4.4.6.
18 >> >
19 >> > So far I've spent about 30 hours scratching my head, clutching at straws
20 >> and
21 >> > going round in circles. I'm getting dizzy. :-)
22 >> >
23 >> > --
24 >> > Rgds
25 >> > Peter
26 >>
27 >> So, you have Grub setup to give a menu, pause, or at least do
28 >> something visible, and it's skipping right past that? That makes me
29 >> suspect that Grub's not running at all, and that the kernel's being
30 >> loaded by UEFI directly.
31 >
32 > Ah! Now why didn't I think of that?
33 >
34 >> What files are in /boot/ on your efi partition (preferably identified
35 >> with the file command)?
36 >
37 > # file /boot/*
38 > /boot/config-4.4.6-gentoo: Linux make config build file, ASCII text
39 > /boot/efi: directory
40 > /boot/grub: directory
41 > /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-4.4.6-gentoo: XZ compressed data
42 > /boot/System.map-4.4.6-gentoo: ASCII text
43 > /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.6-gentoo: Linux kernel x86 boot executable bzImage, version 4.4.6-gentoo (root@sysresccd) #7 SMP Fri Apr 8 15:51:24 BST 201, RO-rootFS, swap_dev 0x5, Normal VGA
44 >
45 > # file /boot/efi/boot/*
46 > /boot/efi/boot/bootx64.efi: Linux kernel x86 boot executable bzImage, version 4.4.6-gentoo (root@sysresccd) #7 SMP Fri Apr 8 15:51:24 BST 201, RO-rootFS, swap_dev 0x5, Normal VGA
47 >
48 >> If you have a kernel in there named bootx64.efi, that's likely the culprit.
49 >
50 > That's what it's supposed to look like, isn't it?
51 >
52 > (I'm using web-mail after booting sysresccd.)
53
54 --> /boot/efi/boot/bootx64.efi <--
55
56 This one is what your UEFI's loading at boot. The lack of any other
57 files in /boot/efi/boot/ makes me suspect Grub's not actually
58 installed in quite the right spot for the UEFI layer to load it. If
59 you pointed grub2-install at the right place (the second command line
60 at [1]), I believe you should have grubx64.efi there as well. If you
61 want to play with getting it working with the uefi stub in the kernel
62 (the way it's booting now), you will need to add in the kernel command
63 line options you need to boot into the kernel itself, which you can do
64 when you configure it. That's how I have the couple uefi systems I've
65 built running, but it comes with the downside that you can't have two
66 available, in parallel, at boot to test the new one without locking
67 yourself out if it's broken (requiring the same external media boot
68 you're already doing to fix it this time around).
69
70 [1]: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Bootloader#Configuring_GRUB2
73 Poison [BLX]
74 Joshua M. Murphy