From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: -fomit-frame-pointer switch
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 17:22:12
1 Wolf Canis <wolf.canis <at> googlemail.com> writes:
5 > James wrote:
6 > | Hello,
7 > |
8 > | On an amd64, If I want to add -fomit-frame-pointer to a system's
9 > | CFLAGS setting, I can just add it and eventually all of the
10 > | executables will be recompile (willing to wait)
11 > | or do I have to rebuild system (all packages) or such to switch?
12 >
13 > Hello James,
14 > you have to rebuild the entire system, if the new CFLAGS settings shall
15 > have effect.
18 OK, I agree with that. BUT, if I do not then I do not get the benefits
19 of that compiler option, but wont the system still work fine? After a
20 while, over time, everything get's rebuilt anyway; If can wait a few months
21 for everything to slowly be recompiled. I'm not asking if this is wise,
22 recommended or will result immediately with binaries that are a result
23 of using "-fomit-frame-pointer".
24
25 I just want to know if the system will continue to function, albeit slower
26 that if I recompile the system and then world (using the syntax
27 you list below)?
28
29 > # emerge --emptytree system && emerge --emptytree world
30 >
31 > That's the recommend procedure, according to the handbook, to do that.
32 > But there are in the forums a big thread whether that is necessary or not.
33 > Some argue - is not, it's sufficient to rebuild the toolchain and than
34 > emerge -e world. Others say one should follow the recommend procedure.
35 > I follow the recommend procedure.
38 I do appreciate your answer, and agree with it from what I've read.
39
40 But in order to avoid recompiling all of those packages (for now)
41 I can just add it to my CFlags and wait a few months, as another option?
42
43 Or is there real peril with this approach to slowly converting a system?
46 James
53 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list