From: Gregory SACRE <gregory.sacre@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Problem with disk: cannot mount as ext3 but yes as ext2 ???
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 06:35:10
1 Hello,
4 I had a hard disk attached on an old RedHat PC formatted and mounted
5 as ext3 filesystem.
6 I removed the hard disk from the PC and plugged it in my Gentoo box. I
7 tried to mount it as ext3 file system and got this error:
8
9 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10 | # mount -t ext3 /dev/hdd1 /jukebox
11 | mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd1,
12 | missing codepage or other error
13 | In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
14 | dmesg | tail or so
15 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16
17 I then tried to see the partition type with fdisk:
18
19 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20 | Command (m for help): p
21 |
22 | Disk /dev/hdd: 81.9 GB, 81964302336 bytes
23 | 16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 158816 cylinders
24 | Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes
25 |
26 | Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
27 | /dev/hdd1 1 158816 80043232+ 83 Linux
28 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
29
30 My next step was to try to repair it with fsck.ext3:
31
32 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
33 | fsck.ext3 -p /dev/hdd
34 | fsck.ext3: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdd
35 | /dev/hdd:
36 | The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
37 | filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
38 | filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
39 | is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
40 | e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
41 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
42
43 I tried what was written with e2fsck:
44
45 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
46 | e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hdd
47 | e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
48 | e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdd
49 |
50 | The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
51 | filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
52 | filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
53 | is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
54 | e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
55 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
56
57 After googling for a while, and not really finding an answer, I tried
58 to mount it as readonly, and because of a typo, I mounted it as
59 ext2... and it worked!!! I tried then to mount it normally, not
60 anymore as read-only with ext2 format... and it worked!!!
61 So my first question is: how come?
62 I'm sure the filetype is ext3 as it can be seen in my old fstab:
63
64 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
65 | [...]
66 | /dev/hdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0
67 | #/dev/hdc1 /jukebox ext3 defaults
68 1 1 --> this is the one ;-)
69 | [...]
70 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71
72 I thought maybe I could try to repair it with the normal fsck:
73
74 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
75 | fsck /dev/hdd1
76 | fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
77 | e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
78 | /dev/hdd1: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short
79 read while reading block 525
80 |
81 | /dev/hdd1: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short
82 read reading journal superblock
83 |
84 | fsck.ext3: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short
85 read while checking ext3 journal for /dev/hdd1
87
88 Is there anything wrong with my hardware? Is it a super-block problem?
89 Is there a way to solve it?
90
91 Thank you in advance!
92