From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "loopback mount" hard-drive image created with dd?
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:07:51
1 On Friday 18 January 2008, Jerry McBride wrote:
2 > Stroller wrote:
3 > > Hi there,
4 > >
5 > > Before installing on a new laptop which came with Vista
6 > > pre-installed I took an image of the hard-drive using dd. (ie: `dd
7 > > if=/dev/sda of=/ mnt/sdb1/disk.img`, where /mnt/sdb1 was a portable
8 > > USB hard-drive).
9 > >
10 > > Obviously the intention was that if I b0rked things up I could just
11 > > `dd` the image back onto the laptop and all would work as the
12 > > manufacturer shipped it, but I'd now find it useful to be able to
13 > > take a look inside the image and examine a few files. Is there any
14 > > way to do this, please?
15 > >
16 > > I'm fairly confident that there were originally a couple of
17 > > partitions on the drive, and the one I want to look at will be
18 > > NTFS, of course. I know that a CD iso I can mount using `mount
19 > > file.iso / mnt/cdrom -t iso9660 -o loop`, but is there an
20 > > equivalent for whole partition tables?
21 > >
22 > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advices,
23 > >
24 > > Stroller.
25 >
26 > Try this...
27 >
28 > modprobe loop
29 > modprobe ntfs
30 >
31 > mkdir /mnt/iso
32 >
33 > mount -t ntfs /path/to/your/iso /mnt/iso -o loop,ro
34 >
35 > Assuming the iso is ntfs and you have loop and ntfs as modules...
36 >
37 > Cheers.
38
39 Won't work. He already said the .iso is a *disk* image, not a *file
40 system* image.
41
42 The ntfs driver (or any sane file system driver) will not know what to
43 do with a block image complete with partition tables and boot records.
44
45 alan
49 Alan McKinnon
50 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com