From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] site:www.gentoo.org (compile phase)...die "econf failed"
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 11:25:45
1 On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 02:24:12AM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
2 > Googling above or similar is getting me nothing useful: 70%
3 > non-English pages, and of the remainder, 90% questions without
4 > answers (from forums.gentoo.org), and of those with answers, answers
5 > specific to packages bearing no apparent relationship to those
6 > failing to emerge for me. There are plenty hits for 'die "econf
7 > failed"' and 'ERROR:...failed (compile phase)', just nothing useful.
8
9 Because that is not the real error message. That just tells you when
10 (whether during configuration or compilation) the build failed. The
11 actual error is a few tens of lines earlier in the display (so
12 possibly 1 screen or 2 up in the console).
13
14 Also, instead of posting the complete log on the external site (and
15 sometimes run into access problems), it may be easier to attach a
16 partial log to the e-mails to the forum. Something like 'tail -n 100
17 build.log' usually contains enough information.
18
19 W
20 --
21 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
22 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
23 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton