From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need help with USE options.
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 22:51:10
1 Holly Bostick wrote:
5 >The first thing you need to understand is that USE flags enable/disable
6 >*optional* support for supplemental applications. USE flags will never
7 >affect anything that you "need" (to run the system), though it may
8 >affect things that you "want" (for your own ease and comfort).
12 That I knew but the global settings may enable support that I do not
13 need/want, gnome being one of them.
14
15 > <snip>
18 >So, add "-gnome" to your global USE flags-- oh, I see you already do--
19 >and then do an emerge -uaDNtv world (to recompile all apps compiled with
20 >"gnome" support without it), and then an emerge depclean -p and then an
21 >emerge depclean (or unmerge various packages individually) to remove the
22 >now-unnecessary GNOME libs that were previously installed. You might
23 >also want to disable "gtk", and "gtk2".
24 >
25 >When you say you "have a lot of gnome stuff installed", what precisely
26 >do you mean, anyway? You seem to have -gnome in your USE flags, so it's
27 >not as if you have applications installing unnecessary (for you) GNOME
28 >libs and such. And surely you did not explicitly install GNOME-- or did
29 >you? If so, unmerge it (if you emerged gnome or gnome-light, this will
30 >only unmerge the meta packages, not the applications installed by the
31 >meta packages), and then do an emerge depclean -p (and then an emerge
32 >depclean, or unmerge the packages individually) to remove the
33 >now-orphaned GNOME dependencies.
37 I just recently added that -gnome. I didn't have it in there when I
38 emerged everything else on my system. Since I didn't know any better
39 before, I want to correct that now. I was going to just do a quick
40 reinstall but I seemed to have it removed by seeing what depclean
41 returned and removing things I didn't need manually, mostly gnome
42 stuff. If I did a reinstall, I was going to copy the kernel, kernels
43 config, world file, and a few config files that I changed over and let
44 it do its thing. I did that a while back when I changed drives.
45 Make.conf was one of those config files too.
46
47 >But you may have a number of packages that depend natively on GNOME/GTK
48 >libs; and if so, then you're just stuck with those, in the same way I'm
49 >stuck with kdebase and qt if I want to use K3b. If that's a real problem
50 >for you, investigate what programs those may be and see if you can find
51 >a KDE or generic X-based alternative (for example, if you use gcolor2, a
52 >GTK/GNOME color-chooser, you may want to switch to kcoloredit, the KDE
53 >color chooser).
57 ><snip>
61 >This means nothing to me, since I have no idea what your system does or
62 >what you do with it.
63 >
64 >Do you need optional "java" and "javascript" support globally, for
65 >example? Do you develop java or javascript? Maybe you do; I don't know--
66 >at least then having the "gcj" USE flag enabled would make sense (since
67 >"gcj" is the gcc support for a java compiler, afaik).
68 >
69 >Myself, I don't, so I disabled that globally, and only enabled it in
70 >/etc/portage/package.use for those programs I know I want java and
71 >javascript support for (firefox, basically).
75 I just know I use java so I stuck it in there. I don't develope java
76 stuff though. Java works so I'm not beating it up. It may break for
77 spight. (sp?)
78
79 >Do you do desktop publishing? Do you even use scribus? Do all
80 >applications you may or may not have installed that *can* use Scribus
81 >actually *need* to have *optional* "scribus" support enabled?
85 I do use Scribus on occasion. It's easier for me than OOo on some things.
86
87 >And if you don't use a database, why do you have the innodb USE flag
88 >enabled?
92 I did install mysql once and then removed it. I guess I missed that USE
93 option when I removed mysql. Thanks for pointing that out. See, you
94 did know something about that USE line. LOL
95
96 >USE flags customize your system to your personal needs, and I cannot
97 >know your personal needs-- only you can.
98 >
99 >So I would suggest reading through /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc and
100 >/usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc to understand what the USE flags
101 >you have enabled actually do. Myself, I have an alias in ~/.bashrc,
102 >"stolen" from this list, to quickly scan USE flag definitions:
103 >
104 >alias useflag="grep /usr/portage/profiles/use.*desc -e"
105 >
106 >So if I do an emerge -uaDNtv world and see a USE flag I don't
107 >understand, I can just do a
108 >(taken from the k3b USE flags above):
109 >
110 > useflag sndfile
111 >/usr/portage/profiles/use.desc:sndfile - Adds support for libsndfile
112 >
113 >and make my own decision about whether I want libsndfile support enabled
114 >or not.
115 >
116 >I've gotta say, that when I install Gentoo, the longest part of the
117 >installation for me is in fact not the kernel compilation (that's the
118 >second longest), but the scanning of the USE flags and reading of the
119 >notes, to make sure I disable what I don't want and enable what I do. I
120 >could, of course, just leave everything be, and then fix it all later as
121 >you are now doing (that's easy enough), but I'm a recovering
122 >perfectionist as well, so I like to take the time and get it closer to
123 >right the first time.
127 I do regularly use the -v option and then look up the options for it.
128 If I don't need it, I remove it or disable it one. I'm learning.
129
130 >My USE flags are pretty generic
131 >
132 >USE="-kde -arts -eds -esd 16bit 3dnow acpi -apm audiofile -berkdb
133 >bigger-fonts caps cddb dbus dga dv dvd fbcon firefox font-server
134 >gimpprint glut gtkhtml gnutls hal iconv inkjar -ipv6 jack jikes
135 >kdeenablefinal kdexdeltas lcms libcaca maildir mmx mng -mozilla mpi nfs
136 >nptl offensive openexr -pam pic portaudio povray sndfile socks5 sqlite
137 >sse -sse2 svg threads toolbar unicode v4l wmf xprint xvid yv12"
138 >
139 >but my /etc/portage/package.use is 115 lines.
143 Holy crap, that's a lot to keep up with. Me not as genius as you are.
144 o_O I would have a lot of commented lines in there to help me remember
145 what I did it for. I'm getting to old I think.
146
147 >I'm happy with that because even looking at it now, I can see that my
148 >global USE flags really */are/* global, enabling support for things I
149 >don't want to have to worry about (I want everything that could have
150 >unicode support to actually have it enabled without me worrying about
151 >it) and disabling support for things I know I don't want (if any package
152 >I may choose to compile could have KDE
153 >support, I know I don't want it, without having to worry about it, and I
154 >don't think I even have ipv6, so I know I don't want that), and
155 >so I know the reason that my package.use is so long is because it
156 >enables/disables *specific* options in *specific* applications, which is
157 >what it's supposed to do.
158 >
159 >Such as
160 >
161 >media-video/ffmpeg -mmx
162 >
163 >Globally, I want mmx support, but ffmpeg won't compile on my system if
164 >such support is enabled, so the support is disabled for that particular
165 >program.
166 >
167 >On the other hand, "extra" documentation support (the "doc" USE flag) is
168 >usually disabled by default if it appears at all, but I've enabled it
169 >for imagemagick:
170 >
171 >media-gfx/imagemagick doc
172 >
173 >because I consider imagemagick complex enough that I want to have the
174 >docs available (because I will surely need them).
175 >
176 >I use Samba, but I don't necessarily want everything that can have Samba
177 >support to have Samba support, so for certain packages, "samba" is
178 >specifically enabled in package.use, but not globally.
179 >
180 >That's the way it's supposed to work, afaik. It does mean you have to
181 >buckle down and think about what you specifically want/need, but
182 >"customization" always requires that, whether it's because you're
183 >detailing your hotrod (I've clearly seen too much "American Chopper",
184 >"Pimp My Ride" and "Wheeler Dealers" this week, damn boyfriend, damn
185 >Discovery and MTV) or because you're fine-tuning Gentoo.
186 >
187 >HTH,
188 >Holly
193 I have watched those shows too. I do want to start to learn my rig and
194 how to configure it correctly. That package.use file has a line or two
195 in it but it was because a package would not compile for me too.
196
197 I'm tired again. Looks like I'm going back to bed. I think my skin is
198 going through a cycle again. I get up, fiddle around then go back to
199 bed. < sighs > This sucks.
200
201 Dale
202 :-)
205 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
206
207 I have four rigs:
208
209 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives. Named Smoker
210 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive. Named Swifty
211 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 224MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive. Named Pokey
212 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive. Named Putput
213
214 All run Gentoo Linux, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
217 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list