From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: monit and friends.
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 16:23:26
1 On 16/10/2017 18:10, Ralph Seichter wrote:
2 > On 16.10.2017 17:50, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> Nagios and I go way back, way way waaaaaay back. I now recommend it
5 >> never be used unless there really is no other option.
6 >
7 > Have you tried Icinga 2 (*) yet? It originally started as a Nagios fork
8 > and uses plugins to monitor, but the rule-based configuration mechanism
9 > of Icinga 2 is IMO more powerful and easier than Nagios' mechanism. I've
10 > used both Nagios and Icinga for years, and I definitely prefer Icinga 2.
11 >
12 > -Ralph
13 >
14 > (*) https://www.icinga.com/products/icinga-2/
17 Yes, I know Icinga as well. It fixes many of Nagios' shortcomings - the
18 first batch of commits after the fork took care of many of those - but
19 still suffers from all of Nagios' design faults.
20
21 In short, I'm not interested in going back to Nagios after a year's
22 migration to get away from it. Same for Icinga, Shinken, Sensu and all
23 the other many nagios forks out there. Also Zabbix.
24
25 My current monitoring is snmp-based, and all I need monit for is as a
26 very narrowly-defined single-purpose watchdog.
29 Alan McKinnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com