From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 17:32:15
1 Evening, Neil.
2
3 On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 05:35:35PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:56:28 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5
6 > > I think I have the elegant solution: that would be for the kernel to be
7 > > able to mount several partitions at system initialisation rather than
8 > > just the root partition. With this, all the issues we've been
9 > > discussing simply wouldn't arise.
10
11 > That's an excellent idea.
12
13 > > I accept that this solution will never happen. Sadly.
14
15 > It's already happened here. My kernel mounts / and /usr thanks to the
16 > inbuilt initramfs
17
18 That's exactly what I didn't mean, and I think you might have been aware
19 of that.
20
21 What I did mean was being able to mount subsequent partitions by giving
22 kernel parameters in the boot loader configuration file. Something like
23 "mount=8,3:/usr" for mount /dev/sda3 /usr.
24
25 This would avoid the need to spend any effort whatsoever on building an
26 initramfs, yet /usr would be mounted early in boot.
27
28 > --
29 > Neil Bothwick
32 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).