From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Unknown service running on port 859/tcp
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 16:50:54
1 I was doing my usual run through of checking to make sure there weren't any
2 unnecessary (or unauthorized) services/ports in use, and after running nmap
3 I found that port 859/tcp was open. Now, I have iptables setup, so no
4 inbound traffic is being allowed on that port. But I'm curious as to what
5 could be listening on that port. I ran a netstat -pan, here's the relevant
6 results:
7
8 tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:859 <http://127.0.0.1:859> 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN -
9
10 Several google searches didn't return much concerning that port, except a
11 tool called Amanda (which I did have at one time but unmerged it). Any
12 ideas? This server has a ssh, ftp, samba, apache, and mysql server on it.
13 It's also setup as a router, so I'm a little paranoid about it's well-being.
16 - Mark Shields