From: Jesus Rivero <jrivero@××××××××××.ve>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problems installing Gentoo on an HP Netserver LH6000 (hangs loading RAID modules)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:03:50
1 Hello everyone,
2
3 I've got a problem installing Gentoo on an HP NetServer LH6000. It
4 has an Adaptec RAID AIC78xx Controller.
5
6 When i boot with a LiveCD and put doscsi to the kernel's command line
7 at boot time, it tries to load 3 kernel modules: sym53c8xx, aic78xxx and
8 scsi_transport_spi, but hangs in the process of loading, and i have to
9 reboot.
10
11 I've managed to start the LiveCd without SCSI detection and it loads
12 OK. But then, then, i modprobe those modules, they load, but i still
13 can't see the RAID disks. (no scsi devices in /dev)
14
15 The weird thing is that i tried installing a RedHat 9 just to see if
16 it was capable of seeing the RAID devices. it turns out that RedHat sees
17 the RAID devices loading exactly the same modules i tried to load with
18 Gentoo -> sym53c8xx and aic78xxx.
21 Any ideas on this? does anyone have cross with a similar problem?
22
23 Any clues will be highly appreciated.
24
25 Thanks a lot,
26
27 Jesus Rivero