From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fluxbox and using kdm
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 07:31:19
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 101026 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm installing fluxbox, got it emerged.
5 >> I use KDE but want a back up in case a upgrade goes bad.
6 >> I want to select fluxbox in kdm when I login
7 >> but also know how to start fluxbox even if kdm doesn't work.
8 >>
9 > Why not eschew Kdm altogether ? -- just use 'startx' + ~/.xinitrc :
10 >
11 > # PP 091002 : for Fluxbox-1.1.1 + KDE 4
12 > xscreensaver&
13 > kdeinit4&
14 > startfluxbox
15 >
16 > Fluxbox mb the most under-rated piece of software in the Linux universe.
20 I'm only going to use fluxbox on occasion. I'm a KDE user for the most
21 part, all I have had for several years actually. Someone did post a way
22 to start fluxbox even if kdm won't start tho. I guess as long as X
23 works, I can start fluxbox to at least be able to use google, forums and
24 the mailing list for help.
25
26 That said, I do like some things about fluxbox. It is seriously fast.
27 I have a AMD 2500+ CPU with 2Gbs of ram so you can imagine how fast it
28 is. It's fast on a 400MHz machine with a small amount of ram much less
29 this rig. lol I may work on getting my slideshow to work on the
30 desktop background and who knows, may have a convert. ;-)
31
32 Thanks.
33
34 Dale