From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Curious ping problem with no FW
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:31:53
1 I've had a problem with being able to ping out to the internet from my
2 gentoo box, while at the same time I'm able to ping outbound from
3 several windows boxes on same home lan.
4
5 I don't run a firewall at all from linux but do have a Netgear
6 switch/router/Firewall upstream between me and the internet cable
7 modem.
8
9 Output of iptables -L:
10
11 reader > sudo iptables -L
12 Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
13 target prot opt source destination
14
15 Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
16 target prot opt source destination
17
18 Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
19 target prot opt source destination
20
21 What I'm asking for here is advice about where to start debugging
22 this.
23
24 I can ping anything on my home lan, but nothing on the internet.
25 Not even my IP's nameservers.
26
27 And as mentioned, at the same time I'm able to ping from any of
28 several windows boxes out to the internet.
29
30 My router/fw can be set to deny specific machines outbound traffic but
31 that is not done in this case. So the solution must reside somewhere
32 in my gentoo install.
33
34 What things should I be checking.
35
36 A ping attempt like this:
37
38 ping ftp.ucsb.edu
39 PING ftp.ucsb.edu (128.111.24.43) 56(84) bytes of data.
40
41 Just never moves any further, but you can see it has resolved the
42 alpha address to numeric forum so must have contacted and received
43 info from the nameserver.
47 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list