From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I turn my audio up?
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 18:57:02
1 Hi, Paul.
2
3 On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 12:58:16PM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
4 > On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5 > > Hi, Gentoo!
6
7 > > On my PC's audio, whilst playing CDs, with all volume settings maxed out,
8 > > the volume can't be said to be louder than "comfortable and sensible".
9 > > In quiet passages, the music gets drowned out by the noise of the power
10 > > supply.  I know from plugging in my iPod that the loudspeakers are
11 > > capable of much more.
12
13 > > The three volume controls up at full are (i) the one in aqualung; (ii)
14 > > the one in alsamixer; (iii) the physical control on the right speaker.
15
16 > > Surely I can get more volume, somehow.  Could somebody please suggest
17 > > how.  TIA
18
19 > How are you playing the CDs?
20
21 > I think there are 2 basic ways, either software (reading the data from
22 > the disc and playing it), or via line-in (software simply issues
23 > "play" command to the drive which outputs via the audio cable, or some
24 > drives even have audio controls on the front panel).
25
26 The CD is being read as data and converted to something which is fed to
27 the sound chip.
28
29 > If the former, the volume should be the same as if you play an MP3, for example.
30
31 Could you suggest a good program to play MP3 files, please
32
33 > If the latter, maybe you need to find the inputs in alsamixer and
34 > boost them, if possible.
35
36 Yes, one of my alsamixer controls was too low.
39 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).