From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Encrypted backups under Gentoo
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 08:57:33
1 on Friday 04/18/2008 Neil Bothwick(neil@××××××××××.uk) wrote
2 > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:34:49 +0200, Remy Blank wrote:
3 >
4 > > There are at least two drawbacks to using rsync for mirroring the local
5 > > backup to a remote host:
6 > >
7 > > - If your local backup becomes corrupt, then so does your remote
8 > > backup, except if you are quick enough to disable the rsync step.
9 >
10 > That's a potential problem with any form of backup, local or remote. The
11 > truly paranoid would use two different backup methods on two physically
12 > separate destinations.
13 >
14 > > - If you have disconnection during the rsync step (happened to me
15 > > last night), your remote backup is temporarily corrupted.
16 >
17 > That should be fixable by having the script that runs rsync check the
18 > return value and try again if it fails.
19
20 Would not these problems be solved by something like rdiff-backup
21 which I have been using for a short time. Its not encrypted, however
22 and I am not sure what happened to the developer, but it does seem to
23 work.
26 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
27 How do
28 you spend it?
29
30 John Covici