From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good 'layman' tutorial on IPv4 > IPv6?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 13:04:47
1 Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On 2012-01-19 5:32 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > On Thursday 19 Jan 2012 15:48:32 Michael Mol wrote:
5 > >> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Tanstaafl<tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 > >>> I have a reasonable grasp of how to use IP addresses etc with IPv4, but
7 > >>> every time I start rading about IPv6 I get a headache...
8 > >>>
9 > >>> Does anyone know of a decent tutorial written specifically to those who
10 > >>> have an ok (but not hugely in-depth) understanding of IPv4, and doesn't
11 > >>> get bogged down in too many technical details, but simply explains what
12 > >>> you need to know to be able to transition to it and use it effectively
13 > >>> *and securely* - and/or how *not* to have to expose your entire private
14 > >>> network to the world (what IPv4 NAT protects you from)?
15 >
16 > >> I've been doing IPv6 presentations at LUGs and tech cons, and I'm
17 > >> getting scheduled for a few IPv6 topics at Penguicon...but I'm pretty
18 > >> sure I'm also not the most knowledgeable on this list wrt IPv6,
19 > >> either. Still, what would you like to know? (I can use your questions
20 > >> as fodder and experience for future presentations. ^^)
21 >
22 > > Now that IPv6 is enabled by default on Linux, is one meant to duplicate all
23 > > the IPv4 iptable rules also for IPv6? I'm using arno ip tables and from what
24 > > I saw in the config file it is either 4 or 6 that one can activate. Perhaps
25 > > this has improved with later versions.
26 >
27 > That was the very first question (and headache) I got from looking at this.
28 >
29 > > The OP would probably have more questions, but if you ever pull together a
30 > > pack of slides I would much appreciate a link to look at them.
31 >
32 > I really wouldn't know where to start... that is why I was looking for
33 > a decent tutorial that covered the topic in total, so I could
34 > hopefully get to the point that I *could* ask some intelligent
35 > questions about it...
36 >
37 > One very general question I have is, how can you - or even *can* you -
38 > hide all of your internal devices from the outside world, similar to
39 > how the use of 'private' IP's behind a NAT'd firewall are hidden from
40 > the outside world (nor directly accessible). I definitely do *not*
41 > want all of my internal devices directly accessible from the internet.
42
43 I saw something on the shorewall.org site which was an introduction to
44 ipv6 -- look in the documentation area.
47 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
48 How do
49 you spend it?
50
51 John Covici