From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] System reboot
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 03:55:08
Howdy,

As some know, I've done some upgrades recently.  A month or so back, I
had reboots due to Dolphin using up all the system memory, since
upgraded from 16GBs to 32GBs.  I stopped using Dolphin for that reason.
I'll test it someday to see if the bug is fixed.  Just a bit ago I had
my system power off.  On one hand, I think it is a hardware issue with
the computer.  On the other hand, I noticed something odd.  The display
was on on my UPS when my system went down.  It usually only comes on
when I push the button or the power fails.  Thing is, the power hadn't
failed.  Sort of makes me wonder.  I have a CyberPower CP 1350C that has
that digital display thing.  The display is blue.  Some may have seen
one before.  While I was shutdown, I checked the UPS to make sure it
switches as it should by unplugging it.  It did.  My speakers, modem,
router etc didn't lose power.  When I got booted up, I ran upsc and it
shows a complete charge on the battery.  Like this:  battery.charge:
100  The most load I've ever had on it was about 250 watts.  That's with
the new CPU and it compiling heavily.  It's not even close to being
overloaded.

I checked the messages log.  Before with the memory hogging Dolphin it
had logged the problem.  Today, it shows this:

Dec 15 20:40:01 fireball CROND[30668]: (root) CMD (/usr/lib64/sa/sa1 1 1)
Dec 15 20:50:01 fireball CROND[1532]: (root) CMD (/usr/lib64/sa/sa1 1 1)
Dec 15 21:00:01 fireball CROND[5513]: (root) CMD (/usr/lib64/sa/sa1 1 1)
Dec 15 21:01:01 fireball CROND[5718]: (root) CMD (run-parts
/etc/cron.hourly)
Dec 15 21:08:34 fireball syslog-ng[4370]: syslog-ng starting up;
version='3.17.2'
Dec 15 21:08:34 fireball /usr/sbin/gpm[4400]: *** info
[daemon/startup.c(136)]:
Dec 15 21:08:34 fireball /usr/sbin/gpm[4400]: Started gpm successfully.
Entered daemon mode.

As you can see, it went from running a normal cron job to me booting
back up.  I don't see any error at all.  Not even one electron.  One
other odd thing.  When I first boot up, my ethernet port, net.eth1,
fails to come up.  I have to reboot and then it comes up fine.  It comes
up the second time even if I do a complete power off.  When I got logged
into KDE and started my webrowsers, they are asking about recovering the
last session.  Obviously they were not closed in a normal way.

When I hit the power button to turn it back on the first time, I went
into the BIOS and checked the temps of the CPU etc.  They all looked
normal and all fans were working.  I thought maybe it got hot or
something but that doesn't seem to be the case either.

What should I suspect?  Is the UPS display a sign the UPS itself did
something?  Could my power supply in the puter being going out?
Something else I should check?  Something else I should check next time
before powering up?  Ideas?  Thoughts?

Thanks

Dale

:-)  :-)