From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Nagios testers wanted
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 16:42:41
1 Michael Orlitzky <mjo <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > We're collecting more and more Nagios bugs every day, and we've been
5 > stuck on the 3.x series for a while even though upstream has moved to 4.x.
6
7 > The main problem as far as I can see is that nagios-plugins is a big
8 > mess, and it's hard for any one person to test. (We use it at work, but
9 > there's no ipv6 there, or ldap, or snmp, or game servers...)
10
11 Um, I'm not up on the results of the Nagios user revolt (fork) from
12 a few years ago. Maybe if you clarify that recent history more folks
13 would be interested in Nagios?
14
15 > I've rewritten the nagios, nagios-core, and nagios-plugins ebuilds, and
16 > will eventually ask permission to commit them to ~arch. That will rip
17 > the band-aid off, so to speak, after which I can work on addressing the
18 > existing bugs. But before I do, I'd like to have a few people test it
19 > and tell me it works.
20
21 Let's make a deal. Lots of folks are trying to get Nagios running
22 on Mesos/spark as a cluster based tool. Have your (hacks) efforts
23 focoused on runnning Nagios on a mesos/spark cluster? My good friend
24 and dev-in-making Alec has graticiouly put working versions of both
25 mesos and spark on his git_tub_club collection:
26
27 https://github.com/trozamon/overlay/tree/master/sys-cluster
28
29 http://caen.github.io/hadoop/user-hadoop.html#spark
32 > So if anyone is using nagios, please give these a try.
33
34 I think the Nagios user community is now splintered (it's been
35 a while since I looked at Nagios seriously) cause the "main dude"
36 became such a *F!zt* so that most users left his fiefdom. Has that
37 changed? Do illuminate the recent history of Nagios, please?
38
39 Something in the net-analyzer realm needs to be modified to
40 run on a cluster. Mesos is the future of clustering, imho.
41 There are many other cool codes that can run on a cluster
42 for a killer-attraction-app for gentoo: Tor, passwd crackers,
43 video farms, web servers, forensic-analysis, just to name a few.
44
45 Personally, I've had excellent results with jffnms, but others
46 find it limited. If you spend some time illuminating why nagios
47 is now stable (users happy with devs) then you'd likely attract
48 some grunts (testers) for your efforts. I sure the cluster community
49 would greatly appreciate a version of nagios running on mesos.
52 Nagios and systemd suffer quite a lot from the same disease, imho.
53 They surely display quite similar symptoms.
57 hth,
58 James