From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -j, make -j and make -l
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:29:48
1 On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 23:34:14 -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
2
3 > >> The problem I found with that is the ebuilds load the system lightly
4 > >> to start with, before they enter the compile phase, to portage
5 > >> starts dozens of parallel ebuilds, then the system gets completely
6 > >> bogged down when they start compiling.
7
8 > > Yes, sometimes that would happen if at the beginning there are
9 > > network-bound ebuilds all downloading their respective distfiles. The
10 > > load stays low until they all start ./configure-ing roughly at the
11 > > same time. Then all hell breaks loose.
12 > >
13 > > I successfully mitigate such "load-explosion" by doing a --fetchonly
14 > > step first, and keeping MAKEOPTS at low -j (which, in my case, is
15 > > actually required).
16
17 It doesn't help here, as my cron script that runs emerge --sync already
18 follows it with emerge -f @world.
19
20 > As I noted, "-l" in MAKEOPTS takes care of the load explosion very
21 > nicely.
22
23 From the description, it should do just that, there may still be dozens
24 of ebuilds in progress, but only the first few will actually start
25 compiling. Adding it now. It should also helps when there are multiple
26 emerge processes running, my desktop acts as a build host for lower
27 powered systems too. Adding -l10 now.
31 Neil Bothwick
32
33 The trouble with the world is that everybody in it is three drinks behind.