From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software RAID-1
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 18:22:54
1 On 24/08/2014 14:51, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > For several years I've been running with / on /dev/md5 (0.99 metadata), which
5 > is built on /dev/sd[ab]5. At each boot I see a message scroll by saying
6 > something like "No devices found in config file or automatically" and then lvm
7
8 LVM does not handle md arrays.
9
10 > continues to assemble md5 anyway and mount its file system. The rest of my
11 > partitions are on /dev/md7 (1.0 metadata), which is built on /dev/sd[ab]7. Oh,
12 > except for /boot, which is on /dev/sda1 with a copy on /dev/sdb1.
13 >
14 > So I decided to clean up /etc/mdadm.conf by adding these lines:
15 >
16 > DEVICE /dev/sda* /dev/sdb*
17 > ARRAY /dev/md5 devices=/dev/sda5,/dev/sdb5
18 > ARRAY /dev/md7 devices=/dev/sda7,/dev/sdb7
19 > ARRAY /dev/md9 devices=/dev/sda9,/dev/sdb9
22 Perhaps you should not include /dev/md5 here. As you have made a point
23 of building the array containing the root filesystem with 0.99 metadata,
24 I would assume that it is being assembled in kernelspace as a result of
25 CONFIG_MD_AUTODETECT being enabled. Alternatively, perhaps you are using
26 an initramfs.
27
28 Either way, by the time the mdraid init.d script executes, the /dev/md5
29 array must - by definition - be up and mounted. Does it make a
30 difference if you add the following line to the config?
31
32 AUTO +1.x homehost -all
33
34 That will prevent it from considering arrays with 0.99 metadata.
35
36 On a related note, despite upstream's efforts to make this as awkward as
37 possible, it is possible to mimic the kernel's autodetect functionality
38 in userspace with a config such as this:
39
40 HOMEHOST <ignore>
41 DEVICE partitions
42 AUTO +1.x -all
43
44 Bear in mind that the mdraid script runs `mdadm --assemble --scan`.
45 There is no need to specifically map out the properties of each array.
46 This is what the metadata is for.
47
48 --Kerin