From: Dutch Ingraham <stoa@×××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] os-prober fails sucessfully
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 08:01:27
1 On 3/16/20 3:47 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 12:51:06 -0500, Dutch Ingraham wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi all. I'm having a problem with os-prober not finding other linux
5 >> partitions.
6 >>
7 >> I'm on x86_64 and an old spinning drive with an msdos partition table
8 >> and 4 primary partitions, 3 linux and 1 swap.
9 >>
10 >> os-prober runs successfully as per bash's return code, but no partitions
11 >> are found.
12 >
13 > os-prober scans for non-Linux operating systems. /etc/grub.d/10_linux is
14 > the script responsible for finding Linux installations.
17 That is not my understanding. From [1], "10_linux identifies kernels on
18 the root device for the operating system in use and creates menu entries
19 for these items." I take this to mean 10_linux is the script
20 responsible for identifying the currently booted system (i.e., the "root
21 device."
22
23 Also from [1], with emphasis added "30_os-prober this script uses
24 **os-prober to search for Linux** and other operating systems and places
25 the results in the GRUB 2 menu.
26
27 A review of the scripts 10_linux and 30_os-prober supplied by Gentoo
28 with the grub and os-prober packages seems to confirm the Ubuntu
29 documentation's accuracy.
30
31 Regardless of which script is responsible, the problem remains that
32 running 'grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg' under the circumstances
33 outlined in my original post should find the other Linux operating
34 systems, but doesn't.
35
36 [1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Setup