From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2 and softlevels
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 12:26:50
1 On 28/01/2014 13:38, Thomas Mueller wrote:
2 >> I do. Why, does it have its own info reader? Personally I've never had to bite
3 >> the bullet and had to learn how to use info.
4 >
5 >> Regards
6 >> Peter
7 >
8 > I tried to learn info and never did well, always lost my place and had to hit q to get out.
9 >
10 > Reading the info file as plain text worked better.
11 >
12 > When I had Slackware with KDE 3.x, Konqueror had a good info reader, but I couldn't find my way in KDE after it went to 4.1.
13 >
14 > Best I can think of in the absence of KDE is pinfo.
15 >
16 > Why can't they get rid of info in favor of HTML, or even straight ASCII text?
19 The GNU foundation will deprecate info files immediately after they stop
20 insisting distros call themselves GNU\Linux.
21
22 Ain't gonna happen, Stallman has a thing about info and won't let go.
23
24 There's a plethora of tools and sites out there to deliver info in a
25 browser and convert info<->html. The two map really well as they are
26 both hyperlinked presentation markup.
27
28 You could even go so far as to auto-convert all info pages yourself at
29 emerge time by hooking a custom script into portage's phase hooks. Then
30 view it locally in a browser; the info in info pages is actually very
31 good (far better than in man for gnu projects).
34 Alan McKinnon
35 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com