From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 08:56:02
1 On Friday 02 April 2010 14:45:29 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Freitag 02 April 2010, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> [10-04-02 14:08]:
4 > > > On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 13:04:53 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 > > > > only to be sure to have understood everything correctly:
6 > > > > Suggestion is to create for example one root partition and a swap
7 > > > > partion. And I will create on big "rest of the disk"-partition.
8 > > > > The last one will be subdivided with LVM into portions as needed.
9 > > >
10 > > > Yes.
11 > > >
12 > > > > Since the last big partition is big due to physical reasons (not for
13 > > > > logical one): What will happen, if -- for example -- one portion will
14 > > > > be not unmounted cleanly and while booting/checking fails to recover?
15 > > > > Are all others damaged/lost?
16 > > >
17 > > > No, because the failure you describe is at the filesystem level. Even
18 > > > the volume containing that filesystem will retain integrity, only the
19 > > > filesystem itself will be corrupted. As you have left free space on
20 > > > the volume group, you can just create a new volume, format it and copy
21 > > > over everything you can recover from the broken filesystem before
22 > > > deleting it.
23 > >
24 > > Hi Neil,
25 > >
26 > > yes, sounds good, very good.
27 > > Last question: How heavy is the performance impact of such a setup ?
28 >
29 > seriously lvm sounds nice. But it isn't. It easily breaks.
30
31 Can you back that up with some facts? I use LVM on many machines and have
32 never had it breaks. I'm also quite ruthless on some machines with how I use
33 it - manipulating volumes with apparently gay abandon.
34
35 I attribute this lack of failure to me understanding how LVm works and using
36 it as designed, without trying to be cute and/or clever.
37
38 > You want a save setup? Go raid5 or raid6. As a bonus - you can get more
39 > space if you need it by just adding another disk. And you are not
40 > depending on some complex stuff to get it working.
41
42 The various raid levels do not address the problem that LVM solves - how to
43 rapidly create and manipulate sub-volumes. If your /var/log fills up, how
44 would you add an extra 10G to it to gain breathing space without using
45 something LVM-like (evms is for example LVM-like. So are the native HP-UX
46 tools)?
49 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com