From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Return of My Continuing ALSA woes
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:17:14
1 I got my new computer about a month ago. It uses the snd-hda-intel ALSA
2 driver. I fought with it for a week or two and finally got it working
3 with alsa-driver (it wouldn't work when I attempted to compile ALSA
4 support for the card into the kernel.) Yesterday it just kind of
5 stopped. I've just rebuild kernel-2.6.14-gentoo-r2 (removing SMP
6 support - someone told me last time that it might cause a problem) and
7 before I rebuilt the kernel I removed all the old modules
8 from /lib/modules for this kernel. I remerged alsa-driver. I try to
9 start /etc/init.d/alsamixer and I hear the little <click/pop> sound out
10 of my speakers that tells me that Gentoo has activated my sound card. I
11 try to run alsamixer to unmute the card, but I get an error:
12
13 camille ~ # /etc/init.d/alsasound start
16 [ ok ] * Loading: snd-seq-oss ...
17 [ ok ] * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
18 * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!
19 [ ok ]camille ~ # alsamixer
20
21 alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Invalid argument
22
23 The funny thing is that when I reload gnome-panel (killall gnome-panel)
24 I have a volume control applet there. It's muted, but I slide the
25 volume bar up. On File->Change Device (in the volume control applet) it
26 claims to be using Realtek ALC880 (OSS Mixer), but I can't hear any
27 sound from any of my other applications (including by selecting the OSS
28 Mixer in xmms.) After I turn the volume up in the volume control applet
29 if I go back to my terminal and try to run alsamixer again I get the
30 same stupid error message, and if I restart /etc/init.d/alsasound I get
31 this:
32
33 camille ~ # /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
34 * WARNING: you are stopping a boot service.
35 * Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ...
36 /usr/sbin/alsactl: get_control:149: Cannot read control info
37 '2,0,0,Front Playback Volume,0': Invalid argument
38 [ !! ] * Unloading ALSA ...
39 [ ok ] * Unloading ALSA modules ...
40 [ ok ] * Loading ALSA modules ...
42 [ ok ] * Loading: snd-seq-oss ...
43 [ ok ] * Loading: snd-pcm-oss ...
44 [ ok ] * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
45 * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!
46 [ ok ]
47
48 I have an /etc/asound.state backed up. When I restore it and
49 restart /etc/init.d/alsasound I get this:
50
51 camille ~ # /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
52 * WARNING: you are stopping a boot service.
53 * Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ...
54 /usr/sbin/alsactl: get_control:149: Cannot read control info
55 '2,0,0,Front Playback Volume,0': Invalid argument
56 [ !! ] * Unloading ALSA ...
57 [ ok ] * Unloading ALSA modules ...
58 [ ok ] * Loading ALSA modules ...
60 [ ok ] * Loading: snd-seq-oss ...
61 [ ok ] * Loading: snd-pcm-oss ...
62 [ ok ] * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
63 /usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control:873: failed to obtain info for control #1
64 (Invalid argument) * Errors while restoring defaults, ignoring
65 [ ok ]
66
67 Any thoughts on how to get my sound back, or why it just quit in the
68 first place?
71 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list