From: Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] dd if=/dev/dvd of=backup.iso - DMA related problem
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:47:48
1 A week ago I was posted a message when struggling trying to copy my
2 own DVD with:
3 dd if=/dev/dvd of=backup.iso or
4 cat /dev/dvd >backup.iso
5
6 After following several leads from Gentoo folks (including replacing DVD
7 cable) I've narrow it down to problem with "dma" resetting itself on
8 "eject".
9
10 When I boot the computer (amd64) the DVD DMA is "ON"
11 [quote]using_dma = 1 (on)
12
13 At this point I can make as many copies as I want using commands "dd" or
14 "cat" but I can not issue eject command
15 eject /dev/hdc
16
17 As soon as I eject the CD (and reinsert it) the status of DMA is
18 changing on the DVD
19 using_dma = 0 (off)
20 And at this point make no difference if I change that status back to
21 "ON" or not every subsequent DVD copy fails.
22
23 I've run onto few posting on Google regarding DMA resetting itself but
24 no solution.
25 --
26 #Joseph
27 --