From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: looking for email provider
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2020 16:57:57
1 On 2/1/20 5:08 PM, Jack wrote:
2 > Relying on the collective experience and advice of the group here.
3 >
4 > As may be obvious to many of you, the address this message is sent from
5 > "...@×××××××××××××××××.net" isn't really a fully functional address.
6 > Email sent to that address will be forwarded by the sourceforge system
7 > to a personal address I specify.� When I send a message "From: " that
8 > address, however, I cannot send it through the sourceforge system, as I
9 > don't actually have an email account with them.� Currently, I send it
10 > through my gmail account.� That works because I added that address in my
11 > gmail Settings under "Accounts and Import" /� "Send mail as:".� To set
12 > it up, gmail sends a message to that address, and I click on a link in
13 > the message to prove it does come to me.� That's been working find for a
14 > long time, but, ...
15 >
16 > I'm trying to move away from gmail.� Especially for mailing lists like
17 > this one, if I send a message to the list, I never see that I get the
18 > message from the list, because gmail refuses to show it in my inbox
19 > because it's a duplicate of a message already in my sentbox.
20 >
21 > I do have an email account with privateemail.com (thorough
22 > namecheap.com) but they are unable or unwilling to have a similar
23 > setup.� I'm not even sure they actually understand what I'm asking of
24 > them, but I've wasted more than enough time trying.
25 >
26 > So - I'm asking if anyone can recommend an email service provider that
27 > understands this and will let me set it up.� I have my own domain, but
28 > namecheap.com does seem willing to have the appropriate DNS record point
29 > to a different email provider.� At this point, I'm not interested in
30 > running my own email server.� I currently only need two mailboxes, maybe
31 > a small number more in the future, but this is personal, not
32 > commercial.� I don't need to do bulk emails, maybe up to a dozen or so
33 > recipients.� I do NOT expect it to be free, but cost is at least some
34 > consideration.� I don't need huge storage limits, as although I use IMAP
35 > access when on the road, when I'm home, I use POP3 to download
36 > everything.� I'd also like at least minimal control over spam filtering,
37 > mainly to let almost anything through for me to filter locally.� If
38 > privateemail.com has false positives for everything from some sender
39 > (such as ups.com, for example) I need to open a ticket with them to add
40 > a whitelist.� No such thing as clicking on "Not spam" and apparently no
41 > intent to ever do so.
42 >
43 > Thanks for any suggestions.
44 >
45 > Jack
46
47 Hello Jack et al.,
48
49 WE all feel your pain, as the deceptions and folks with nefarious
50 intentions, has just exploded. My suggestion is that WE all discuss and
51 figure out a gentoo centric solution, that is installed, managed and
52 enhanced by options, all on a Gentoo centric framework. I'm almost ready
53 to get static IPs and roll my own via sendmail (really that desperate,
54 are we James?).............
55
56 Today, I ran across an interesting system that might just work, only it
57 needs to be 'gentoo centric' imho.
60 'Heimdall, an open-source personal email guardian'
61
62 https://medium.com/@fabianterh/how-i-built-heimdall-an-open-source-personal-email-guardian-68e306d172d1
65 So, my suggestion is that we have folks interested 'chime in' with
66 issues, ideas and practical suggestions, so we, the Gentoo community
67 solve this, once and for all.
68
69 I'm all in. Cause yesterday, I received false email from some jerk
70 posing as 'Credit Karma'; really, they did a pretty good job, except
71 Credit Karma doe snot send out unsolicited emails to non-customers, or
72 at least that's
73 what they say over the phone.
74
75 Beware:: multipleapp@×××××××××××××××××××××××××××.com
76
77 So shall WE solve, test, debug, rinse-repeat, a solution, as
78 brothers-in-need, or keep fighting this crap individually ?
81 curiously,
82 James