From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: off topic: rotating a video
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 23:48:38
1 On 17/02/15 01:39, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 16 2015, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 16/02/15 22:51, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
5 >>> I apologize in advance for this off topic query.
6 >>>
7 >>> I took a video with my phone (galaxy note 4) and via google+ uploaded it
8 >>> to my mail laptop. It is an mp4 and plays fine on both the phone and
9 >>> the labtop except that it is sideways.
10 >>>
11 >>> I was surprised that neither the player on the phone nor the player on
12 >>> the laptop (totem, I run gnome) seems to offer a rotation option.
13 >>>
14 >>> Am I missing a slightly hidden option or do I need another program.
15 >>> I do not do video editing and do no plan to in the near future.
16 >>
17 >> You can change the metadata of the mp4 file without re-encoding
18 >> it. This requires that the player you play the video in actually
19 >> respects that metadata though! mplayer and mpv respect it. Your
20 >> phone's player might not.
21 >
22 > Not worried about the phone. I won't touch the file there and will
23 > probably delete it when I get the one right on the laptop.
24 >
25 >> You need ffmpeg for this (media-video/ffmpeg).
26 >
27 > That I have (1.2.6-r1, highest stable).
28 >
29 >> ffmpeg -i yourvideo.mp4 -c copy -metadata:s:v:0 rotate=90 output.mp4
30 >
31 > I did this command but the result is not rotated (my player is totem).
32
33 Try mpv or mplayer. If that shows it rotated, then it's totem ignoring
34 the metadata.