From: Mansour Al Akeel <mansour.alakeel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lost wireless interface after updates
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 10:33:01
1 The hardware button (hidden on Lenovo T420s), was switched off.
2 Sorry for this guys.
5 On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 12:12 AM, Stroller
6 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
7 >
8 >> On Sun, 18 October 2015, at 7:22 p.m., Mansour Al Akeel <mansour.alakeel@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >>
10 >> I haven't updated my system "emerge --sync" in a while (2-3 months).
11 >> Few days ago I did.
12 >> After that I lost my wireless interface.
13 >
14 > I apologise, but I'm extremely dubious of this claim.
15 >
16 > wifi doesn't stop working when you simply update the Portage database - there is no connection between the two things.
17 >
18 > You updated the Portage database (with `emerge --sync`) *and then did something else* which caused your wifi to stop working.
19 >
20 > Surely, you updated the Portage database (with `emerge --sync`) and then installed a bunch of updated packages?
21 > (something like `emerge -u world`)
22 >
23 > I don't mean to sound antagonistic, or like I'm attacking you. I'm sorry if this email has a negative tone, but what you wrote raises two issues.
24 >
25 > 1. It's easier to help you if we know exactly what you did.
26 >
27 > 2. When you're updating a bunch of packages, you should run `emerge -p` first. When you've done so, there's a good case for identifying system-critical packages (such as anything related to wifi, networking and system init) and emerging them separately (`emerge -1 package`); then you can deal with the package notices or any problems separately, knowing exactly what update you're responding to.
28 >
29 > Stroller.