From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software for checking CDs and DVDs for errors?
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 10:27:30
1 Pouru Lasse <lasse.pouru@××××××××××××.fi> wrote:
2
3 > I've got a bunch of scratched disc-based games (PS2, Xbox 360) that I'd
4 > like to check for errors. Is there any program for Linux that does this?
5 > I found and tried dvdisaster, but it only works for CDs, not
6 > DVDs. Everything else seems to be Windows-only.
7
8 I am not sure what you really intend as your question does not really explain
9 whether you are interested in detecting problems or whether you are interested
10 in the best results you could get from trying to recover data from a defectice
11 medium.
12
13 In any case, I recommend "readcd", as it implements read recovery at SCSI level
14 and thus prevents you from depending on the usually bad implementation in the
15 kernel level driver.
16
17 In addition, readcd implements low level error discovery. Note that this works
18 for CD media and for some DVD drives with DVD media. I currently know of no way
19 to detect media quality for BluRay media.
20
21 BTW: The error recovery methods in readcd(1) are from sdd(1) that has been used
22 to recover from bad HD media in the mid 1980s already.
23
24 Jörg
27 EMail:joerg@××××××.net (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
28 joerg.schilling@××××××××××××××××.de (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/