From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE? Get me out of here!
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 04:05:18
1 On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann <
2 volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Mittwoch 24 Februar 2010, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
5 > > I've been using KDE for a long time, for reasons that are no longer
6 > > important to me. I have remained out of pure inertia.
7 > > I use gnome happily at work, both on Fedora and Ubuntu. All I need from
8 > > any of them is a panel with some favorites, and a pager for multiple
9 > > desktops. I spend most of my time in vim, in the C program and
10 > > documentation toolchains or in a browser.
11 > >
12 > > The reason I bring this up is that my account just froze on me from
13 > running
14 > > out of disk space. A little research showed that an odd-sounding thing
15 > > called nepomuk was using 7.2 G (SEVEN GIGS) in some dotfiles. It turns
16 > out
17 > > to be a KDE client - whatever that is. I've got a lot of space here and
18 > > there, but my /home partition was never near full before.
19 > >
20 > > I'd like to just nuke nepomuk, but fear the consequences. I'm seriously
21 > > entertaining ideas about a more efficient way to run my Gentoo system,
22 > > although I'll probably keep kdelibs because I like a few of their games.
23 > > Similarly for gnome. But I wonder what I should do about the rest.
24 > >
25 > > Ideas?
26 >
27 > just deactivate it.
28 >
29 > But one thing surprises me - I have 400gb of data in /home. And nepomuk
30 > just
31 > needs 600mb...
32 >
33 > Okay, but I don't really know what it is, let alone how to deactivate it.
34 I'll search around.
35
36 Thanks.
40 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD