From: Gerrit Kuehn <gerrit.kuehn@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] root on nfs and multiple ip addresses
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 11:18:38
1 On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 15:59:01 +0800
2 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
5 > I have been moving away from fixed IP's using scripts to
6 > update via dynamic DNS (which is why two IP numbers per MAC are
7 > problematic).
8
9 Joost was probably not suggesting the use of static IPs here, he was
10 suggesting to fix a certain MAC to a certain IP employing dhcp (or I
11 didn't understand properly what you both are talking about here ;-).
12
13 > Interestingly, dhcp issues the same IP addresses consistently to both
14 > the boot process and OS.  While stopping the OS requesting an address
15 > is easy enough ... the question is why is that necessary.  Google
16 > shows a number of recommendations and howtos saying to do just that
17 > but it seems a "kludge".
18
19 Did you make sure that the two IPs are issued to the same MAC? I don't
20 have much experience with the ISC server, but I'd think this should not
21 happen.
22 Just a wild guess: does the client update its time (by running
23 ntpclient or similar) during boot so it might think different about the
24 age of its dhcp lease than the server?
27 cu
28 Gerrit