From: Gerrit Kuehn <gerrit.kuehn@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python, my nemesis
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 13:56:58
1 On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 09:18:23 -0400
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > ---
5 > > ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.use/py
6 > > */* PYTHON_TARGETS: -* python3_9 python3_8
7 > > */* PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET: -* python3_9
8 > > ---
9
10 > You should probably not mess with these variables until after your
11 > system is 100% updated and consistent. And even then, probably not.
12 >
13 > With our package manager written in python, you often need old python
14 > stuff to build the new python stuff, and disabling the old python
15 > stuff will throw a wrench into that. Even in situations where
16 > technically some upgrade path exists, the complexity of the python
17 > dependencies often means that the package manager will give up before
18 > it finds the solution unless the solution is obvious. By tweaking
19 > those variables, you make the solution less obvious to it.
20
21 Well, this was the suggested way to go, see
22 https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2021-05-05-python3-9.html
23
24 But also when trying "emerge -1vUD @world" (be it with or without the
25 package.use settings), I get stuck in conflicts (mostly on perl and
26 setuptools). perl issues would probably resolve once I have EAPI8
27 support, i.e. get new portage.
30 cu
31 Gerrit