From: Emanuele Rusconi <emarsk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to poweroff the system from user?
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 12:17:01
1 On 23 March 2015 at 10:46, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday 22 March 2015 14:36:36 Jc García wrote:
4 > > 2015-03-22 4:30 GMT-06:00 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>:
5 > > > On Saturday 21 March 2015 16:20:17 Jc García wrote:
6 > > >> > Interesting. But as I said ealier, I can reboot the system when I am
7 > > >> > a
8 > > >> > user by Ctrl+Alt+Delete. The user can reboot the system, but can't
9 > > >> > shut
10 > > >> > down? Strange
11 > > >>
12 > > >> It's not strange, `man 2 reboot`. It's a defined behavior.
13 > > >
14 > > > I'm with German here. Being designed that way doesn't stop it being
15 > > > strange.
16 > > I see it as a last resource available for rebooting under any
17 > > circumstances( Similar to what you can do with Sysrq).
18 > >
19 > > > Consider: I'm an ordinary user sitting at a terminal. I'm not allowed
21 > > > halt the machine, but I am allowed to reboot it into perhaps some quite
22 > > > other configuration. Or I can keep rebooting it over and again,
23 > > > effectively preventing the machine from doing its job. How does that
24 > > > make sense?
25 > > It doesn't and that's why it's configurable, if you are in a high
26 > > security requiring environment, you disable it.
27 >
28 > The consensus seems to be that there's no point in trying to prevent a user
29 > from rebooting the machine, and I'm happy to go along with that.
30 >
31 > The remaining question is: why is the user not allowed to halt it?
32 >
33 > --
34 > Rgds
35 > Peter.
39 Maybe some people here missed my post.
40
41 You CAN allow the user to halt: just substitute
42 ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -r now
43 with
44 ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -P now
45 in /etc/inittab and Ctrl-Alt-Del will shutdown instead of reboot.
46
47 In fact, Ctrl-Alt-Del can be set up to do whatever you want and will
48 have root privileges.
49
50 If this is a security hole for your use case, you can comment it or set
51 it to
52 ca:12345:ctrlaltdel: /bin/echo 'Hey, don't touch me there!'
53 , or you can disable it entirely in the kernel.
54 --
55 Emanuele