From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo on a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 02:08:12
1 On Mar 5, 2012 4:59 AM, "Grant" <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > All my drives says this from fdisk:
5 >
6 > Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
7 > Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
8 > I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
9 >
10 > So it doesn't matter where the first partition starts?
13 Older BIOSes don't understand that hard disks now can have 4KiB sectors, so
14 some of the "advanced format" hard disks report a sector size of 512B. But
15 behind the scenes, the hard disk maps the logical sector to a subsector of
16 the physical sector.
17
18 The only sure fire way to find out if your hard disk uses 4KiB sectors is
19 to open your computer and eyeball the hard disk. All 4KiB hard disks that I
20 know of have statements on their surface that tell me so.
21
22 Rgds,