From: Matthias Fechner <idefix@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Find root partition
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:26:17
1 Hi,
2
3 On 20.01.11 04:35, John Campbell wrote:
4 > I had that problem or something similar some time ago when updating to
5 > the new, at the time, pata drivers. I ended up using a brute force
6 > technique... I booted grub to it's built in shell and used it's limited
7 > tools to figure out which partition/drive was which and editing the
8 > kernel/initrd lines to get the system to boot to init level 1 and then
9 > make the changes permanent in grub and fstab.
10
11 ok, I found now the problem, it was a combination of a missing driver
12 and a new device name (changed from sdc to sde).
13
14 But really it cannot be that it is impossible to scroll the kernel
15 messages up? Is there really no way existing to get to the message above?
16 And take a camera is absolutely impossible, from grub to kernel panic it
17 takes around 1 second, that is faster then the display to switch the to
18 the correct output mode.
19
20 Bye,
21 Matthias
24 "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
25 build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to
26 produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." --
27 Rich Cook