From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r5 with x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2 -- file conflict
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 01:06:50
1 On Freitag 22 Mai 2009, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2 won't compile due to a file conflict,
3 > but portageq does not see it.
4 >
5 > Background:
6 >
7 > I've been masking out the new xorg server, but things have started to
8 > break, so I'm giving in.
9 >
10 > The process has been shaky, and I'm currently running something
11 > different from what I've compiled -- an unstable and worrisome
12 > condition.
13 >
14 > The last piece seems to be the ATI drivers, which have forced me to
15 > reconfigure the kernel 2 or 3 times. Fortunately I was able to do
16 > that before any of the recompilations that are now out of sync with my
17 > running system.
18 >
19 > The problem: Compiling the driver errors out with this message
20 >
21 > >>> Installing x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2
22 >
23 > * checking 126 files for package collisions
24 > * This package will overwrite one or more files that may belong to other
25 > * packages (see list below). You can use a command such as `portageq
26 > * owners / <filename>` to identify the installed package that owns a
27 > * file. If portageq reports that only one package owns a file then do
28 > * NOT file a bug report. A bug report is only useful if it identifies at
29 > * least two or more packages that are known to install the same file(s).
30 > * If a collision occurs and you can not explain where the file came from
31 > * then you should simply ignore the collision since there is not enough
32 > * information to determine if a real problem exists. Please do NOT file
33 > * a bug report at http://bugs.gentoo.org unless you report exactly which
34 > * two packages install the same file(s). Once again, please do NOT file
35 > * a bug report unless you have completely understood the above message.
36 > *
37 > * Detected file collision(s):
38 > *
39 > * /usr/lib/opengl/ati/extensions/libglx.so
40 > *
41 > * Searching all installed packages for file collisions...
42 > *
43 > * Press Ctrl-C to Stop
44 > *
45 > * x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r5
46 > * /usr/lib/opengl/ati/extensions/libglx.so
47 > *
48 > * Package 'x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2' NOT merged due to file
49 > * collisions. If necessary, refer to your elog messages for the whole
50 > * content of the above message.
51 >
52 > >>> Failed to install x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2, Log file:
53 >
54 > The log has no information not in the error message above. The
55 > portageq command suggested in the message names only one package:
56 > xorg-server, but not the ati driver. But the file is clearly listed
57 > earlier among the files it will check for collisions.
58 >
59 > Anybody know how to work around this?
60 >
61 > ++ kevin
62
63 yes, remove /usr/lib/opengl/ati/extensions/libglx.so it should be owned by
64 ati-drivers, if not, some screw up happened.
65
66 /me wonders why there is still a stone old buggy ebuild/driver in 'stable'.