From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Delayed update semantics
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 07:59:31
1 On 15.02.2013 00:58, Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 02/14/2013 11:26 AM, James wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >>
5 >> Context: Stable Systems with a few newer packages
6 >> (unmasked) in portage.
7 >>
8 > --snip--
9 >>
10 >> So, my latest ideas is to "sync up" and then wait one week
11 >> before acutally installing those new packages. This would
12 >> allow the fodder that the good folks on this list catch,
13 >> bitch about (um, I mean file bug reports) and fix, to
14 >> occur first; then I can complete the package update
15 >> cautiously avoiding an "emerge sync".
16 >
17 > I suppose you could set up a weekly cron job (say on a Saturday) to do
18 > something like:
19 >
20 > emerge -fuDN world > proposed_change.txt
21
22 AFAICT, if you do not really do an emerge --sync, this command will
23 repeatedly show nothing.
24
25 > Then a few days later (say Wednesday?) email that file to yourself so
26 > you know what changes are being proposed.
27
28 You surely know, there is a great toolset, eix, which has eix-sync
29 command that does emerge --sync and shows all updated ebuilds.
30 But anyway, to update a package, you'll have to sync.
31
32 >> When time permits I CAN CHOOSE to "emerge sync" and then immediately
33 >> update the packages and parse through the issues mostly. Call
34 >> this the stable-stable approach to gentoo updates.
35
36 IMHO that is not a solution: rather, a solution is not to update world
37 but pick single packages to update. Most software does not *require* an
38 update, unless there are security/stability issues. So doing a world
39 update to track such issues is kinda hunting sparrows with a mortar.
40 And practical experience has it that "it works, and don't touch it".
41 Pretty often some unnecessary update causes an unnecessary mess, even if
42 the dev guys put it as stable.
43
44 A delay after emerge --sync is pretty useless because you end up with a
45 (week-)old portage tree, so to fix any possible bugs found that week,
46 you'd do another sync so... you see.
47
48 For the purpose of stability, I don't see an alternative to doing emerge
49 --sync but singling out packages to update rather than updating world.
50
51 In the real world, there's no 100% secure way to be 100% secure, you
52 know. You just choose the path you deem more suitable based on risk/work
53 and efficiency/work relations.
58 Best wishes,
59 Yuri K. Shatroff